Friday, January 30, 2009

Strengths and Weaknesses of Communication

"My friend Nicole and I on New Years Eve 08'"
For this assignment I decided to interview my mom and one of my best friends Nicole. I have known Nicole for six years now, and my mom my whole life. I knew that these two people would be best to interview because they would be completely honest with me.

When I asked them about my strengths they both said that once I feel comfortable around people I am able to communicate well in different situations, such as group projects. I do really well communicating through technology, like texting or the internet, rather than face to face. I am also great at my job, which is waitressing. They both think that I am great talking to strangers because I know I will most likely not see them again, and you have to be good at communicating with the customers if you want a good tip.

For weaknesses they both said that I need to speak up. For example, if I have a question I tend to be nervous and shy to ask it, but I think I am getting better at that. They also said that public speaking was a weakness as I get very nervous for some reason. If I improve in those two areas I think I would be not as stressed.

I expected them to both say this. I have been trying to communicate with others better, but I feel like I am like my dad and get nervous. I am shy, until I feel comfortable, which isn't always good when it comes to being independent and meeting new people.

In the next few weeks I plan to speak up, and get to know the other students I am with so I will feel comfortable with them. I am glad that I already know a couple people going, but I will work hard to be able to communicate with everyone.

2 comments:

  1. I can definately relate to you when you say that one of your communication weaknesses is nervousness about public speaking. When I have to speak in front of a large group I get very nervous, even if I am comfortable with the material. Like you, I think that if I could improve in this area I would not be as stressed about a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete